Tuesday 7 May 2013

Don't call me baby ....

Upon serving an eighteen year old recently - I knew she was eighteen because I'd smirkingly checked her ID .... Worst. Mugshot. Ever!! - I was horrified to hear the words 'thankyou sweetheart' as I handed her her change.

Sweetheart??!! I used to get narked when old men called me 'wench' because it reminds me off buxom tavern girls back when Shakespeare was still a nipper, but SWEETHEART!! The girl was exactly ten years younger than me and she made me feel like I was still running around,hair in pigtails and jelly shoes clasped to my feet.

Ok,so I looked longingly at a pair of jelly shoes this week but that is NOT the point ....I didn't buy them.

Since when has it been ok to talk to your elders like children?

I always find it uncomfortable in nursing homes listening to the nurses baby talking to the residents - just because they have to suck up their shredded wheat through a straw doesn't mean that they haven't lived and earns the right for respect.

When too did it become ok to sign off emails to the boss with kisses - unless of course you're secretly at it with them, but that's a whole other can of moral and ethical worms!

When did it become the norm to call everyone older than you 'Hun,' 'Chick,' or 'Darling,' and quite frankly if you're one of those women who lets your bloke call you 'Baby,' then you've let the side down girlfriend. Years of fighting for women's rights have gone plop down the pan because of you!!!

Have a bit of respect people !! And for goodness sakes , don't call me sweetheart unless your over sixty five!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment