Tuesday 12 February 2013


Ten year plan? Life's too short!!!
 
Recently my feature Seeking Sunshine, described how research by Greenwich University has shown that an alarming 75% of women under thirty are experiencing a ‘quarter life crisis’.

The pressure to have relationships, careers and finances in a healthy place as soon as possible has become more intense than ever and with social media such as Facebook and Twitter out there rubbing our noses in other peoples achievements, it is becoming easier and easier to feel like a failure.

 But let’s all just calm down for a moment here. Since when did things get so regimented? Surely your twenties is the decade to find out what you want from life….not to plan the rest of

 it out with military precision.

  Kerri Kellet certainly thinks so anyway……
Kerri Kellett
 “When I left school I wanted to do a makeup course but it wasn’t financially viable,” she explains, “and so I went to college to study Beauty Therapy. Very quickly I realised that touching old ladies feet and waxing bikini lines just wasn’t for me and so I quit. In fact I became quite

a pro at quitting as it happens! I worked in retail for a while, but every job I took on I gave up. I even tried to fool myself into thinking that I wanted to be a nursery nurse – it was a nice steady career to get into- but after starting the apprenticeship again I knew it wasn’t for me.

 My friends and family told me that unless I stuck to something I’d find it harder and harder to get work, but I just wasn’t prepared to do something that made me unhappy just for the sake of being ‘settled.’

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t take another job unless it had something to do with writing or makeup or both. I knew that if I wasn’t passionate about something that I wasn’t going to stick it out, no matter what anybody else thought I should or shouldn’t do.

 That was when I finally found a job with Estee Lauder in Selfridges, followed by a role as a social networking blogger and media promotions officer – which I love! I’ve even blogged for More magazine and am now part of their More Beauty Top 100, where I get to chat beauty 24/7. In my spare time I also do spray tanning!

Life is too short for plans and things don’t always happen the way that you think they will anyway. I know what I love (makeup and Harley Davidson's in case you’re wondering) and I know I’m enjoying my current life, but who knows what the future will bring and that’s the exciting bit – not the bit that makes me miserable! Maybe one day I will live in London or in New York, or maybe I’ll just go back to my hometown of York. As long as I’m happy, comfortable and painting the town orange with my friends, I’m not going to worry about what I ‘should’ be doing by the time I’m thirty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment