Monday 10 June 2013

Rise of the angry birds

 Lately I've been feeling a little on edge......actually....on edge is probably a rather hefty understatement. I held a door open for a woman in town the other day who, on passing through said door, completely ignored my good deed and neglected to pass any form of thanks - not even an appreciative head nod.

Right then and there I could feel a violent swirling in my stomach, my throat became dry, my eyes reddened as though some kind of satanic light was shining behind them.

I was about to go batshit crazy.

Luckily I spotted a promotion on earrings (ooh shiny things) before I had chance to drag the bitch back by her hair and face plant her up the door that I was now gripping onto with all the force of the Incredible Hulk. Unfortunately though, this is not the first time that I've felt the 'rage' and it's getting more and more frequent. Passengers in my car are often treated to a rather glorious 'f-bomb' or two as I screech at other motorists and I'm almost positive that the last three lightning storms we had by my house were a direct result of my absolute fury bubbling over so much so, that it caused some kind of freak reaction in the sky.

 I don't seem to be the only one with an axe to grind either (talking of which it's probably best to keep sharp things out of my way for the foreseeable future!). Adele, Rihanna, Serena Williams, Britney.....the list goes on and on....have all had very public blow outs. Punching camera men, lobbing tennis rackets into the crowd and verbally abusing just about everyone on Twitter, has now become the norm for some of our favourite celebrities.

"The trouble is," says psychologist Kerry Daynes, " Is that women are forced to deal with unrealistic expectations. We place so much importance at being the best at everything that our stress levels are at an all time high."

So what the hell do I do about it then huh?!!




 
Er no..........this is not the answer!!!


 
 

Take time out.........

Anger very often comes from stress and stress from not taking time to sit back and smell the roses. Life is full of deadlines, trying to please everybody, meetings, targets......oh God it's working me up just thinking about it!! Take at least half and hour everyday for yourself. Turn off the phone.....do it and do it now! Put on some relaxing music, take a long hot bath and allow yourself to unwind.

Exercise

Exercise can combat so much more than a muffin top. Proven to help combat depression, it can also relieve stress, releasing feel good endorphins that make you want to hug not hurt!!!

Be honest

If something is bothering you share it! Don't bottle up emotion until the cork suddenly pops off in a great shower of 'shit and bollocks!' Grab a bottle of wine and a trusted friend and indulge in a good old chin wag.

Realise why you are angry

I am the biggest culprit when it comes to getting angry about the little things rather than dealing with the one big issue that's making me angry in the first place! If something is riling you, go back to the roots and snip right there.


It's not always easy to quell the fire inside and indeed, psychologist Massimo Stocchi says that "Anger can actually be a good thing, telling us when something is wrong that could potentially harm us."  It's simply about learning how to deal with it in the right way.

No comments:

Post a Comment